My traditional doorbell recently stopped to work, makes me thinking about getting a fancy replacement.
There are a few “smart doorbell” on the market. The most famous one might be Ring Video Doorbell or the Pro version. The price on Amazon is ~$250, even with deal it’s still around $200. Besides the price, with Ring products, I need to use their app on my phone to get the call from doorbell, it’s not that easy to integrate with other smart devices, or add my own features. Say I would like to open the door after I talk with the person rings the doorbell, or I want to have a picture taken when it rings and display on my cellphone. So almost no consideration, I decided to build my own video doorbell.
Initial thoughts on what I want:
1. Has an illuminated button, when pressed, change color or do some blinking to tell the visitor button pressed.
Rings traditional bell. Rings my home phone with different tone.
3. Use SIP protocol to talk with other devices.
4. Take a picture when pressed, display it on the screen when phone rings.
5. Send a notice to my Samsung smartwatch
6. Video capture on motion.
7. Can call my doorbell from regular phone.
8. Silent time for different devices.
9. Take outside temperature and humidity.
Raspberry Pi Zero or Zero W Raspberry PI 2 or 3 (See this post).
2. Camera with night vision IR LED.
3. 15 Pin 1.0mm Pitch to 22 Pin 0.5mm Camera Cable.
4. Step-down DC-DC regulator.
5. mVox MV100 USB Speakerphone.
6. DHT11 Temperature Humidity sensor.
7. Usb Hub module(Optional for Zero W).
8. Usb Wifi module(not necessary for Zero W)
9. 3D printed housing.
10. 12V 2A power supply.
11. An illuminated push button.